Cloud resources for research
On this page:
IU has contracts with the three main public cloud platforms, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and Microsoft Azure. They offer hyper-scale computing resources on demand. While those services are not free beyond limited trial usage, each vendor provides support for research in the form of credits and, in some cases, free consulting. The information here outlines what is available to IU faculty, how to take advantage of it through IU-sanctioned environments, and the kind of support available to help you choose what works best for your use case.
Each vendor has a slightly different process and guidelines for applying for research credits. The links below point to vendor documentation. If you have additional questions, email Cloud Technology Support.
Research credits are time-limited and can generally be requested only once per project. To ensure that you have the best opportunity to use your award before it expires, pay special attention to questions about when you will start your work when completing your application.
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
AWS is a generous supporter of academic research and the advancement of science. This support takes the form of data sets, tools, consultation, and credits to pay for the use of the AWS computing platform.
- Research and Technical Computing Portal: The Research and Technical Computing Portal is a gateway to information about research computing on AWS. Find case studies, request letters of support, and learn about AWS collaborations with NSF, NIH, NASA, and others.
- Public Datasets: The AWS Public Dataset Program offers support for preparing and publicly hosting high-value datasets.
- Cloud Credits for Research:
- Research Consulting: This dedicated team of scientific experts focuses on scientific computing and research workloads. To get connected, email Cloud Technology Support.
- Research-focused training: To help researchers learn about cloud computing, Amazon has curated a list of no-cost, on-demand online courses tailored to researchers.
Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
GCP is generous in its support of research and teaching. The IU GCP environment has safeguards in place to protect research workloads. For fast-track assistance with account setup, email Cloud Technology Support.
- Datasets: GCP Public Datasets are available to query directly, to use for developing machine learning models, for application development, or other uses.
- Cloud Credits for Research: GCP research grants start at $5,000, and higher grant amounts are possible with written justification. See Break through with research credits.
- Research Consulting: To get connected to technical subject matter experts on GCP to help with needs gathering, best practices, solutions architecture, and skill building, email Cloud Technology Support.
Microsoft's Azure cloud platform has a deep and flexible platform suitable for use in a wide variety of research use cases; see Microsoft Azure for research.
- Datasets: Microsoft has a number of public datasets for a variety of uses, including the two below, and others are available through web searches.
- Cloud Credits for Research: For details about Azure research credits, email Cloud Technology Support. Staff will put you in touch with the appropriate Microsoft representative.
- Research Consulting: To be connected to an Azure solutions architect or research associate, depending on your use case and area of research, email Cloud Technology Support.